Legacy Series: Tap Dance Programming & Schedule
DANCE CLASSES with Live Musical Accompaniment
Note: If you do not have tap shoes, bring hard-soled shoes for any class. Flat or low heel character shoes are suitable. No rubber soles as they can cause injury when performing twists and turns.
- Absolute Beginner Tap Classes: Suitable for those with little to no tap dance training
- Experienced Beginner/Beginning Intermediate Tap Classes: Suitable for those with some previous tap dance training
- Open Level Tap Classes: Open to all levels of tap dance experience
- Specialty Open Level Tap Class and Discussion by Bril and Brinae – “Creating lasting legacies: Combinations and Conversations“
- Specialty Open Level Tap Class by Travis and Lisa – “Learn a lil’ Tune”: Students will learn to sing the melody and lyrics to a jazz standard and embody a tap dance approach to then playing with the tune at hand. No previous singing or music theory training required.
- Specialty Open Level Tap Class by Danny – “Guided Practice, Listening and Improvisation” THIS CLASS IS NOW FULL
- Specialty Open Level Tap Class by Brinae – “Embodying Afrofuturism” THIS CLASS IS NOW FULL
- South African Percussive Dance with Mafa Makubhalo: Suitable for any level of mover, no previous experience required. A hybrid of Gumboot dance and Tap dance inspired by the South African Traditional dance of the BaPedi tribe. THIS CLASS IS NOW FULL
- Vernacular and all that Jazz with Natasha Powell: Suitable for any level of mover, no previous experience required. Learn vernacular jazz dance movements and their cultural context. THIS CLASS IS NOW FULL
LECTURE SERIES: “The Story VS A Story of Tap Dance” Parts 1, 2, and 3 will run each morning of the Symposium. What is the story of tap dance’s history and evolution?
- Elements of Jazz Culture
- Show Biz-ness
- Eras and Evolution
Drop into the Practice & Footage room for archival tap dance materials and guided practice to improve your tap dancing.
- Movie Night, December 3 at 7:30 PM: Join us for a community screening of “Tap”, starring Gregory Hines and Sammy Davis Jr. + a post-movie discussion of this important piece of Tap Dance history.
- The Ball, December 4 at 7:30 PM: Guests are welcomed to the venue with the swinging vibes curated by our DJ. Over the course of the evening, guest performers take to the stage to woo the crowd with rhythm and solidify the knowledge, pride and insights developed at the Symposium. Fabulous party attire requested!
- The Jazz Jam, December 5 at 7:30 PM: The Sunday night jam is at the heart of the culture of Tap. The Jam Session is where we connect to the music, the dance, the song, and each other. All are welcome from musicians, singers, poets, and dancers. The Jam Session is where we come together as a community and share our experience through song and dance. Casual dress.
Full Schedule Below.
Click HERE to download the schedule PDF.
EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
For the Artist Roster, click HERE.
For the general program overview, click HERE.